8:00 Exposition, Vespers, Adoration until 8:15 AM
Fr. C had been in the confessional for a long time that day–my conservative count was about three hours. So I imagine he was glad to get up out of the confessional room and stand up for a bit!
Conference Three Notes:
- The three theological virtues (how God works in our lives): Faith, Hope and Love. “God Words in us without us.”
- St. Augustine: The God who made you without you can’t save you without you. (Think about that for a bit)
- We participate in our salvation
- Mary has all the virtues perfectly. (i.e., prudence, justice, temperance, fortitude)
- Her role for us is intercessory.
- God works as a movement in our lives–how is he working?
- God acts first. Everything that we do that is good is a result of His first act.
- Surrender takes faith.
- You cannot love what you don’t know.We have to get to know God.
- God wants us to recognize what we need. He’s acting, but we can’t always see how he’s acting.
- All grace is mediated.
- Angels mediate grace/law/messages, in their Biblical appearances.
- God chooses to have grace mediated (instrumentality). It doesn’t have to be this way.
- Even when we’re in a spiritual desert, God is acting. He gives us things specifically for our good.
- the desert is about conversion, which we all need.
- Mary is fully converted. She had a choice, and she helps us with our choices.
- God is knowable; He uses human instruments to be mediators of grace.
- Mary: “Do whatever He tells you.”
- We desire the good of others. We want our love to be effective and we get frustrated when it is not.
- Feminine instinct: To anticipate someone’s needs and to do it gracefully. We live in accord w/ that instinct. Our generosity is reveled in our love for others.
- Sin and the devil want us to cling to things/people. We have to turn and see what is truly attractive.
- Mary is our hope.
- Charity/actions reveal who we are. We are judged by our actions.
- People in Heaven (saints) are active in charity. They intercede for us–they are superabundant in their charity.
- “God can help us anonymously, but He doesn’t like it as much.”
- Trust that God is acting in your life. Be patient, be ready, and don’t rush it.
- Turn back to the Lord. Patience–God really does things.
- Grace of charity speaks of real friendship.
- God orders everything for our Good. He wants us to flourish.
- Model the saints, admire them.
- Acts of worship, i.e., adoration, help us get to know God better.
- The first act of worship is adoration.
- God wants to reveal himself to us.